192 Telok Ayer Street, Singapore 068635
Fri: 10:00-12:00, 14:30-18:00
Children : FreeAdult : Free
Telok Ayer MRT Station
This historical mosque, began life in 1827 as a thatched hut. Its modest structure gave rise to its other name, given by its Indian Muslim congregation - Kucha Palli, meaning 'small mosque' in Tamil. The Indian-Muslim worshippers at Al-Abrar Mosque were mostly from the Coromandal Coast of Southern India, known as Chulias. Mostly traders and money changers, many settled and worked in Chinatown. The mosque was not only their spiritual refuge, but also a social venue in which the community could meet and interact.
From 1850 to 1855, the humble hut was transformed into a brick and plaster structure, with a simple Indian-Islamic theme. In 1986, extensive renovations were carried out, resulting in the mosque that stands here today. The prayer hall was extended by one floor, increasing the mosque's capacity from 300 to 800. Craftsmen, specialising in mosque architecture, where brought in to design the new elements and to ensure that blended with the old features.