Sri Mariamman Temple
244 South Bridge Road, Singapore 058793
Children : FreeAdult : Free
Chinatown MRT Station
Sri Mariamman Temple is the oldest Hindu temple in Singapore. Built in 1827, Mariamman Kovil or Kling Street Temple as it was popularly known then was constructed for worship by immigrants from the Nagapatnam and Cuddalore districts of South India. In the early years, it provided shelter for Indian immigrants, and was the only Hindu temple whose priests were vested with the authority to solemnise Hindu marriages.
The temple is dedicated to Goddess Mariamman, known for her power in curing epidemic illnesses and diseases, the temple attracted many devotees, who turned to her power of healing. Sri Mariamman Temple was established by Narayana Pillai, who came to the settlement with Stamford Raffles' party in 1819. In 1823, Pillai requested for some land to built a temple, but it was only in 1827 that the first temple building was erected.
Located in the heart of Chinatown, the temple’s ornamental tower entrance or gopuram, has been a landmark to generations of Hindu worshippers and Singaporeans alike from 1930s. Today, Sri Mariamman Temple is best known for the fire-walking ceremoney, or Theemithi, that is helf every October or November. Devotees would walk barefooted on the hot coals as a test of their faith and devotion.